Limited Expense Health Care FSA
A smart way to maximize your savings and preserve your HSA funds.
The Savings Power of This FSA
If you’re enrolled in an HSA-qualified high-deductible health plan and have a Health Savings Account (HSA), you can increase your savings with a Limited Expense Health Care FSA (LEX HCFSA). This pre-tax benefit account helps you save on eligible out-of-pocket dental and vision care expenses while taking advantage of the long-term savings power of an HSA. Plus, if you re-enroll in FSAFEDS during Open Season, you can carry over up to $500 remaining in your account from one plan year to the next, so there’s no “use or lose” risk.
Why enroll in a Limited Purpose Health Care FSA?
- Maximize your tax savings with both an HSA and a Limited Purpose Health Care FSA
- Save an average of 30 percent on eligible out-of-pocket dental and vision expenses you have now while using your HSA to save for future Health Care expenses
- Access the full amount of your account on day one of the FSAFEDS plan year
- Carry over up to $500 from one plan year to the next when you re-enroll in a Limited Expense Health Care FSA – there’s virtually no risk of losing your hard-earned money
How You Save
With a Limited Expense Health Care FSA, you use pre-tax dollars to pay qualified out-of-pocket dental and vision care expenses. The money you contribute to this account is not subject to payroll taxes, so you end up paying less in taxes and taking home more of your paycheck.
Limited Expense Health Care FSA Eligible Expenses
- Vision exams, LASIK surgery, contact lenses, and eyeglasses
- Dental cleanings, X-rays, fillings, crowns, and orthodontia
How You Get It
You enroll in or renew your enrollment in your Limited Expense Health Care FSA through FSAFEDS during Open Season each year.
How You Manage It
With a variety of convenient reimbursement and payment options, your Limited Expense Health Care FSA makes it easy for you to get reimbursed for hundreds of eligible dental and vision care expenses. Learn more about your reimbursement and payment options.
Simply log in to your FSAFEDS online account at any time to manage all aspects of your Limited Expense Health Care FSA:
- Check account balances
- Submit claims and view claims status
- Look up eligible expenses
- Select your reimbursement methods (by check or direct deposit)
- Choose to receive account alerts by email or text
Or you can log in to your account with the FSAFEDs app. Just download this handy app to your mobile device and log in with the same username and password as your online account. It’s the easy way to manage your FSA when on the go!Learn More
How It Works
Step 1 Determine Your Annual Election
If you are eligible to participate in the FSAFEDS program, decide how much to contribute to your Limited Expense Health Care FSA account based on how much you plan to spend in the upcoming year on out-of-pocket dental and vision care expenses.
You can contribute up to a maximum of $2,650 *See contribution information to your Limited Expense Health Care FSA each year. Keep in mind, you may carry over up to $500 remaining in your account from one plan year to the next.
* IRS annual contribution limit for 2018. Back to main content
Step 2 Enroll to Start Saving
After deciding how much to contribute to your account, enroll in a Limited Expense Health Care FSA. After you’re enrolled, your funds are withdrawn automatically from each paycheck for deposit into your account before taxes are deducted. The total annual election amount is available on day one of your plan year.